Monday, February 18, 2013

An Open Letter To My Mom


Dear Mom,
No matter what culture I experience, I’ve always found one thing universal: The love a mother has for their child. Although it may not seem that children are valued as much as in American culture in some places, I think it’s only just expressed differently. It may not always be apparent, going day to day with a seemingly cold relationship, little interaction or affection. Or maybe it will be apparent, in the laughing, the dinnertime conversation, or the assistance with homework. But no matter what, when in need, a mother is always there for their child, whether American, Kenyan, Moroccan, or any other culture.

I know sometimes (alright, honestly, most of the time) my aspirations and choices in life make you want to have a panic attack. In some ways, I’m sure you might have wished I would have simply graduated college and gotten a normal job and not decided to run rampant on the world. But I know at the end of every day, when I burrow under my 4 blankets and sleeping bag and can still see my breath, that you are proud of me. I know you and Dad both go to work each day with the latest of my updates to share with your friends.
But remember this as well: The first thing I did my first night with my Moroccan host family was to show them the pictures of my family back home. Without you and Dad to show me what hard work meant, to show me what the world has to offer, and to show me that my own potential never stops, I could never have had a chance to give you stories to tell. Never do I have a day that I do not at some point think, “Man… I wish mom were here to see this” or “Damn, what would dad think right now?” Whether you realize it or not, you travel with me through each and every one of my adventures, and I make sure to never lose sight of who made those adventures possible.

I remember, Mom, when you first went back to school to get your degree. You took a leap of faith and followed your dreams. While my 4th grade self may not have really understood what was going on at the time, I’m so proud of you for what you’ve done. You taught me that it was never too late to do what you want to do with your life, and, if you work hard enough, anything is possible. You raised me to know that I could be whoever I wanted to be, and through thick or thin, you would stand by me. Even through my lowest lows and my greatest achievements, you were my rock. You were who I called at the end of the day. You were who I wanted to tell my stories too, and you were who I was most afraid to disappoint when I messed up.

The more I travel and the further I get from home, the more I realize how strong your love for me is. On those days when I had no motivation to do my Peace Corps application, and you kept nagging me about it, those were the days when you put your fears on the backburner so I could follow my dreams. I can’t begin to guess the number of times in the last month that you’ve wished me back home. The stress and worry you face everyday are because you loved me so much that you trusted me to follow my dreams. And in my times of doubt, you were the one that told me I could do it.

I can’t image being the mother of independent, pain-in-the-ass, obnoxious me. I would have a heart attack if I had to wait each day for the latest email or update that I’m alright. But you do it. Because you love me. Because of that, I do everything I can to make sure you always know that I’m okay. And when I’m maybe not okay, I still tell you I am, because just being able to tell you that will make me okay.
I love you so much, and you have given me everything in life.
Monika

No comments:

Post a Comment